Western Primary School is an inclusive school. All our staff believe having high self-esteem is crucial to a child’s emotional well-being and academic progress. We have a caring, understanding team who look after all of our children. Having a child who may have Special Educational Needs or a disability can be very worrying for a parent.
At Western Primary School, we can offer a wide range of support for your child to ensure that all children make good progress and are happy in school.
The Inclusion Team
Kim Leach – SEND Co-ordinator (responsibility for Educational and Healthcare Plans)
Ellie Dean – SEND Co-ordinator
Marie Pykett – Inclusion Teacher
Sam Bates – HLTA Learning Support
Rachael Smith – HLTA Learning Support
Kelly Gelder – Child Counsellor
We understand that knowing your child has Special Educational Needs can be a worrying and anxious time. At Western Primary School we ensure that all children’s needs are met and will work in conjunction with parents towards a shared goal.
We have a number of ways to help us identify if a child needs extra help. These include:
- Liaising with parents
- Information from your child’s pre-school or previous school.
- Home visits by class teacher.
- Class teacher contact previous schools / settings
- In school assessments and End of Year Expectations
This information will be used to ensure that we meet any additional needs your child may have. Once your child is in school we will monitor their progress and development. If we have concerns we may ask other professionals to give advice and support. All support programmes and contact with other agencies will be done in partnership with parents.
Support for Learning
The school offer a range of interventions based on the individual needs of the child. These include:
- All children in the school receive quality first teaching
- The STAR (Striving Towards Achieving Results) class provides small group or 1:1 teaching for children who find it difficult to learn in a large classroom environment.
- HLTA support for specific, identified programmes will take place during afternoon sessions.
Support for Well-Being
At Western Primary we recognise that a child needs their social and emotional needs met in order for them to access education. The school offers a range of pastoral sessions based on a child’s individual need. These include:
- HLTA support for small group activities – For example: All About Me
- Child Counsellor for private 1:1 sessions
For further information and details around our ‘SEN Information Report’, please click on the link below.
We recently sent out a questionnaire for parents of children with special educational needs. For an example and the results of the survey please click on the link below.
To access the Local Authority SEND information and offer please follow the link below:
Our Special Educational Needs coordinator (SENCO) is the head, Mrs Leach.
For queries regarding SEN please contact us on (01472) 311550 or see contacts page for further details.